Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Duff
(Designated Ugly Fat Friend)
by Kody Keplinger



This is one of those books that took me completely by surprise. When I saw that there was going to be a movie, I knew I had to read the book first. I really thought it was a mistake after the first few chapters though, that this just wasn't a book for me. The characters seemed so shallow and vapid. 

I'm happy to eat my words, because this story was anything but. The depth of the characters and the emotions this story evoked for me, made it unputdownable. As soon as I finished, I wanted to start all over. I loved the message that at one time or another everyone feels like 'the duff'. Everyone has struggles and insecurities, some people are just better at hiding it than others.

"Wesley Rush doesn't chase girls, but I'm chasing you."

5/5 Fangs


This is a fun story about finding the right person around the wrong circumstances. 

Bianca Piper is a seventeen year old teenager who's life is about to get really complicated. Her parents are having issues, her ex-boyfriend is coming to town and she just learned that she is the DUFF- Designated Ugly Fat Friend. Worse, is that she learns this from the hot slutty sexy high school heartthrob Wesley Rush. 
Bianca wants nothing else than to escape from her life and starting a clandestine relationship with Wesley for some reason makes sense since she has no feelings for him. He'll be just a fling, an escape, a distraction. What's the worse that could happen?



Holy smokes! Wesley was just too great for words. One of the best changes from bastard to awesome I have read in YA book (**cough** Daemon Black**cough**) . The only reason he approached Bianca in the first place is to hook up with one of her two best friends. Bastard, anyone?? However, I love the subtle changes in him, they were all gratifying and at some point in the story I felt bad for him. I hit my face and threw the Ipad on the bed and screamed "Noooo" "Why, did she do that for?". (I think my face is still stinging). Anyway, Wesley won me over and as the story unfolded I was rooting for him wholeheartedly. He was a good listener and he steped up to the plate big time and more than once. 

I do wish this book had an epilogue. 

I think about you much more than any self-respecting man would like to admit, and I'm insanely jealous of Tucker - something I never thought I'd say. Moving on after you is impossible. No other girl can keep me on my toes the way you can. No one else makes me WANT to embarrass myself by writing sappy letters like this one.
Only you.” 

4/5 Fangs





Bianca is the DUFF: the Designated Ugly Fat Friend.
Wes is the manwhore. 

A discrete relationship with Wes that starts as a distraction from her life leads to so much more.  More than either of them expected.

I LOVED THIS BOOK.  It was such a refreshing and entertaining read.  Wesley is easily one of my favorite YA characters.  He had such redeeming characteristics and I grew to love him.   The banter between the characters was hilarious and I couldn’t read the book fast enough!  

I felt all the emotions with this one.  I was shocked, happy, excited, hurt, and relieved.  This is one I will have to reread very soon!

 I can not wait to read the companion novel LYING OUT LOUD. 

4.5/5 Fangs




No comments:

Post a Comment